Young life Africa children’s home is a home that Rescue, rehabilitate, accommodate, educate and feed orphans and vulnerable children from the society. We target children from five to eighteen years.
We are located in Ruiru district, Murera division about 1.5 K.M off Thika superhighway behind Kenyatta university Ruiru campus. Our ultimate goal is create responsible and fulfilled adults out of the children in the project.
The project was started in 2003 march 15th in Huruma slums with sole objective of helping the disadvantaged children living in the slum of Mathare, kambi-moto, Huruma; Kariobangi from all forms of bondages, socially. Later the home was moved to Ruiru.
Other activities undertaken include:
- Training the community in home based income generating activities.
- Engaging youths in curriculum activities like sports and art related activities with aim of identifying and nurturing talents.
- Advocacy campaigns on Family health and HIV/AIDS, children rights, domestic violence and substance abuse among the youths in the community.
- Teaching modern farming activities targeting vulnerable families in the community.
- Vocational training and formation of associations for youths.
Our vision is a world in which every child attains the right to survival, protection, education, development and participation.
Our mission is too maximize the full potential of our children and youth through rehabilitation, participatory engagement’s that serves their endeavors to realize their dreams come true and aspirations in building a better Kenya.
- To rescue, rehabilitate, accommodate, educate and feed orphans and vulnerable children from society. This ensures reduced vices e.g drug abuse, theft cases by building character and improving the children social skills.
- To provide support to vulnerable children from society sport and recreational groups and organizations in counties by provision of advice, training, guidance and funding to assist in the improvement.
- Educating fatherless and orphaned children up to completion of secondary school and where possible, to tertiary education.
- To provide underprivileged youths with necessary technical skills e.g welding, embroidery, catering, masonry, painting, agriculture and others which enables them to be self reliant in order to solve the huge problem facing the country of unemployment.
- To serve and support parents with difficult social and economic circumstances, who want the necessary care for their children.
The CORE VALUES are stated in the present tense, not because we have attained them, but so that we may hold them alongside our actions as a constant challenge. The core values are as follows:
1) Commitment to Needy Children.
We value and serve needy children, to relieve their suffering and to promote the transformation of their lives through respect and love. We use long term interventions that nurture vulnerable children to grow up as responsible Kenyan adults. and Kenyans.
We accept the obligation of joint participation, shared goals and mutual accountability. We affirm our interdependence and our willingness to yield autonomy as necessary for the common good. We are partners with the poor, media, corporate bodies and with donors in a shared responsibility.
We maintain a co-operative stance and a spirit of oneness toward other humanitarian organizations and are willing to receive and consider honest feedback about our work.
We are responsive to life threatening emergencies where our involvement is needed and appropriate. We are willing to take intelligent risks and act quickly.
We endeavor to care for and support vulnerable children at our centers and ensure their basic needs are well catered for.
2) Transparency and Accountability.
We carry out our operations transparently and there is value for money on project activities that can be easily confirmed. We are open in all our transactions and accountable for our expenditures and results.
3) Respect for People.
We respect the rights of all people directly or indirectly working with us irrespective of their ethnicity, religion, race and gender.
Young life Africa Center is the most active player in dealing with matters affecting children, youths and families on:-
- Rescue interventions
- Advocacy on child rights
- Harmful drug addiction
- Provision of residential care to vulnerable children, vocational training and education.
Over the last 12 years, we have made some impressive achievements in spite of the minimum resources we had. Some of these impressive achievements include:
- We have put up an orphanage cum rehabilitation center in the land that was donated to us where we are able to fully accommodate more than 100 children, feed them three meals a day, provide clothing, shoes, and medical care.
- The former street boys who were the pioneers of this project are now in college and high school, thus giving them an opportunity to advance in their academic endeavors.
- We have an academy which have enabled us to provide quality education to our children at the home and others underprivileged children in the community.
- All our children are in school, giving them the opportunity to interact with other children thus improving their self esteem.
- We have clean and sufficient water supply from the borehole.
- Currently our home is supplied with electricity.
However, we have unavoidable, unexpected and unpredictable changes that has been affecting our achievements and future plans. These Changes include:-
- Changes in the political arena owing to the new Constitution dispensation.
- Economic meltdown that has increased the cost of living.
- Social changes.
- Cultural Changes.
- Technological changes.
All these changes have affected the smooth running of this project.